Saturday, January 25, 2014

To all of you "Patch Adams" in the world... Thank you....






My Husband and I watched the movie "Patch Adams" the other day. What a wonderful and amazing movie. I have seen it before when I was younger but my Husband has never seen it, so we decided to watch it together. Wouldn't it be absolutely amazing if all Doctors took a minute to watch this movie?? I think this movie should be a part of the curriculum to become a Dr. More Doctors need good bedside manner and should start treating patients as a human being, not just a disease or a money sign. I feel that love and showing that you truly care for a patient and their well being can help the healing process much more then people truly realize. Take that time out and laugh and share with them, bring their spirits up. In my past with Doctors I haven't had many connections at all, Many times, I could tell that I was just another number, another chart that they would take a quick look at and then move on. Finally after going to 6 or 7 different Drs for extreme pain and tenderness in my neck since I was 15 and being told it was basically nothing... I gave up. I felt that I was never listened to and just tossed aside. It was disheartening and upsetting. After a while I could no longer take the pain so I talked around and someone I graduated High school with referred me to Penn State Hershey Medical, So I thought okay, I'll give this one last try and I made an appointment and went. I am glad I did because by going there I regained new hope again. My surgeon who ended up doing my very long thyroid cancer surgery was different from any Dr I have ever had. You could tell he genuinely cared and had concern for Me. It was a wonderful feeling and to this day I feel so very blessed that God placed me in His Hands. I bring this up because watching Patch Adams reminded me of that and reminded me of my own "Patch Adams" that I was lucky enough to have. If you have never watched this movie, take the time and watch it. It is an inspiring movie with laughs, love and hope. Also, why not take the time and tell your Dr's to take a look at it too? Can't hurt right? I think we can all learn a valuable lesson from it! Until next time my friends...




No comments:

Post a Comment